Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Link Dump!!!

A link dump?  Really?  Total cop-out, I know.  But here's the deal, I'm up to my eyeballs in trying to get work done before this weekend (where I'll be appearing at the Magic Grand Prix in Providence, RI).  I'm really close to getting my assignment done (which is due on Friday), and I'm making the final push to hammer it home today.  As such, I'm going to give a couple nice little links from other blogs to check out.

First and foremost, here's a link to an entertaining article about the laws of freelancing from my cousin Chuck Wendig's blog.  It's full of perversity, sprinkled with profanity, and chock-full of truth.  I highly recommend it:


This Is Freelancer Law, Or: "How To Not Suck As a Freelancer"

Also, as an aside, Chuck and his wife just welcomed into the world a brand new (as opposed to used) baby boy.  You can read all about it (if you're so inclined) here: link.

Second, I'm going to link to a nice little blurb that Chris Moeller did for the Muddy Colors blog.  It's a good one for folks who have recently matriculated from college and are trying their hand at illustration.  As it's from the Muddy Colors blog, most of you reading this will already have seen it, but if you haven't, it's definitely worth a look-see as it, too, is full of truth and some good advice.  If you're wondering where I stand on the matter, just read what Chris has to say because my feelings are right in line with his.

Life After Art School: Five Years to an Illustration Career

Finally, here's a nice article by Donato about the ongoing debate as to whether or not art school and all of its expense is necessary nowadays with so many less traditional (and cheaper) options are available.  I have my own feelings about this subject which I'll likely put down at some point, but for now this is a pretty good start.  Donato makes some really excellent points, and he's made an excellent summation of how his own choices affected his path.


Career Choices

Well, that's it for me today.  Back to painting and making prints.  I'll hopefully be back with something a little more substantial tomorrow.  Well, substantial on my part.  There's definitely a lot of meat to savor in the above links.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments, questions, and discussion so long as you keep it civil.