Thursday, August 26, 2010

Patterns In Prison

I'm working on a bunch of articles with a bit more substance, but in the meantime, here's something I did in college.

This is a piece I did in my Sophomore year at Pratt Institute.  That would have been 1996 or 1997.  The professor would have been either Rudy Gutierrez or Don Albright, though I think it was Don.  The assignment was to illustrate a story about inmates who had started making clothing in prison.  I don't remember if the clothing was haute couture or not, but I certainly addressed it as though it wasn't.  In case you're wondering the piece depicts sewing patterns hanging out in a dingy cell.

This was done during an almost two year phase during which I abandoned oils almost completely and used mixed media.  This piece started with Dr. Ph. Martin's Water Soluble Inks on top of a pencil drawing.  I then did a layer of pen and ink, followed by some acrylic paint, capped off with a bit of colored pencil.  Between each layer of the various media, a coating of acrylic matte medium was applied, followed by a coating of Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic spray.

I think I went a little overboard with the toothbrush spatter.

2 comments:

  1. I love looking at an artist's older work, it's fun seeing how far they've come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike. Wait until I start digging out the work from high school and elementary school. That should blow your mind...or make you feel a whole lot better about yourself...or both...or neither!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments, questions, and discussion so long as you keep it civil.