Friday, March 4, 2011

Cheese Platter 2

• I have seen the "Top Gun" more than any other movie.  As a kid, I dubbed a copy of it and would watch it constantly.  By my estimation, I have seen it well over a hundred times.  I'm not bragging.  I'm pointing out how wasted my youth clearly was.  Just think of all those hours I could have been watching something good, or running around outside getting exercise.

• My Grandmother had an antique, cast iron clothes iron she used to keep her back door open during the summer.  Well, it's inner parts were iron, but there was a steel case that enveloped it with a latch and a turned wooden handle.  The idea, apparently, was that you would have more than one of the cast iron cores.  One you'd have heating by the fire while the other was in use.  When the one in use became too cool, you could flip the latch and swap cores thereby always having a hot iron.  That this somehow reminded me of a swapping clips in a gun is kind of interesting.  Of all the things I could have likened it to, strange that it always went immediately to a firearm analogy.

• I don't like ice skating.  Sure, I've only been twice, and I fell an awful lot.  Falling, however, is not my biggest fear.  Having someone skate over my hand is.  As improbable as this sounds, I have met four people in my life who have either themselves had a finger severed while ice skating, or had a family member who has.  Statistically speaking, I'm pretty sure it's abnormally high to have run into so many.  Each story I've heard has reinforced my fear.  So, I don't skate.  In fact, I don't think I'd even skate if I were the only one on the ice.  I'm pretty sure that if there's a way to cut your own finger off while ice skating that I would find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments, questions, and discussion so long as you keep it civil.